The Garden of Harmony was built from 1874-1882, the late Qing Dynasty. It was built on Wu Kuan’s curtilage old site in the history of Ming dynasty by Zhejiang NingShao Tai-Dao Gu Wenbin, which took nine years and consume 200 thousand silvers, with the meaning of "Brother Joyful" that came from Analects of Confucius, called The Garden of Harmony.

This garden was presided by Gu Cheng, the third child of Gu Wenbin, and was participated in planning design by the painter of Ren Fuchang, Gu Yun, Wang Yun, Fan Yinquan, Cheng Tinglu, etc. All the stones and pavilions in the garden were made manuscript first, then fixed after consultation with Gu Wenbin. After the Garden construction completed, many Jiangnan Celebrities came for an elegant gathering, with the name being famous and prosperous. In Guangxu 21 years (the year of 1895) Gu Heyi, the son of Gu Cheng, as well as Wu Da, Lu Lianfu, Zheng Wenchao and Wu Changshuo, etc created the album of The Garden of Harmony in the garden.

In the Mid-Autumn of 1919, in order to carry forward the culture of musical instrument, the Lord of The Garden of Harmony, as well as Ye Zhangbo, Wu Jinyang, Wu Lansun and other musical instrument celebrities, specially invited the instrument players from Shanghai, Yangzhou, Chongqing, Hunan of more than 30 people, to hold a party gathering in The Garden of Harmony. After the party, Li Zizhao made a long Scroll Painting of Musical Instrument Party in The Garden of Harmony, Wu Changshuo made a long subject of Recording for Musical Instrument Party in The Garden of Harmony to express prosperous. Gu Linshi inscribed a poem on the Painting of Musical Instrument Party in The Garden of Harmony, wherein the stream of words "bright moon and tranquil night when nothing, listen to harp flowing on the spring", becoming a favourite tale. The whole event composed a new chapter in the history of musical instrument for modern China. Since then, “Musical Instrument Party in The Garden of Harmony” has become fixed activity for the instrument players get together.

In 1935, the musical instrument celebrities got together in The Garden of Harmony to spread art of musical instrument and promote by communication, who also advocated to set up "JinYu musical instrument club". However, due to the war and social unrest, Musical Instrument Party in The Garden of Harmony gradually faded. After Gu Heyi died, garden gradually declined. In the puppet government period, it experienced a severe damage, with antique calligraphy and painting grab completely. In the 1940s, the The Garden of Harmony was taking as a place for recreation, and had a name of "Suzhou Great World". In September 1949, the ninth regiment headquarters of the second team of east China military and political university once stationed here.

In 1950, the newspaper office of New Suzhou Newspaper was founded here. In December 1953, Gu Gongshuo, the son of Gu Heyi, as well as others donate The Garden of Harmony to the country. After the stationed unit evacuated, the municipal government allocated funds for maintenance prior to open for touring. In 1992, Wu Zhaoji, who is the famous traditional instrument musician enjoyed a good reputation both at home and abroad and the representative figure of Wu School, as well as famous traditional instrument musician of Xu Zhongwei, Ye Mingpei and other a dozen of friends from Wu School were invited with pleasant, to renew the Musical Instrument Party in The Garden of Harmony, whereas the ancient musical instrument sound that has been faded for many years echoed again in The Garden of Harmony and continued to now.

  • Yuyan Pavilion

    Originally here had a bamboo forest, with the name came from the poem of "ten thousand poles of jade, a straw extending Autumn, natural and unrestrained like the cool breeze". "ten thousand poles of jade" means the wind blow to ten thousand bamboo poles making jade sound. In the Pavilion, there was a carved stone with Dong Qichang cursive hand: "Sitting quiet to meditate universe wonder, FaTan was fit to my feeling".